I have the most wonderful boyfriend in the whole world. Theres only one problem: my parents hate him! They want us to break up. What should I do?
The very same thing happened to me when I was in high school. A guy that I had known all throughout high school suddenly became more than a friend. Rich and I started a romantic relationship, but when I told my parents about it, they were less than pleased. My parents thought that we were too young to be in a serious relationship. So, we tried to break things off and just be friends.
It didnt work too well. We couldnt stand being apart, so we started going out behind my parents backs. Even though I really loved Rich and enjoyed the romance, I was miserable! My relationship with my parents suffered, and my relationship with the Lord really suffered. In the end, Rich and I were so unhappy about the whole situation that we decided to come clean with my parents.
They handled it well, but they told us we had to break up for good. This time, we obeyed them completely. That was one of the most difficult times of my life. I missed my boyfriend so much!
We didnt even talk for a year and a half. But when my parents saw that we obeyed them, they reconsidered the possibility of Rich and me getting back together. To make a long story short, Rich and I won my parents trust and eventually got married with their whole-hearted approval.
Heres the moral of the story: When you do things your way, you end up in misery. When you do things Gods way, you end up happy. Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galations 6:7-9
God has commanded children to obey their parents. As long as your parents do not ask you to sin, you should obey them. If you dont like their decision, you can make a humble appeal to them to change their minds. And you can always pray that God will change their hearts and minds (Proverbs 21:1). But if they dont change, you will have to accept their decision. Sometimes it will be extremely difficult and cause us personal pain to obey God and obey our parents. But its the right thing to do. God promises that if you obey, in the end, you will have a long and happy life (Ephesians 6:3).
--- christianster.com
No comments:
Post a Comment